About the client
Rwanda Development Board
The Government of Rwanda conducted legal and institutional reforms between 2008 and 2009 to improve the doing business environment. One of the critical areas identified for business reform was improving access to credit. This necessitated the creation of a favorable regulatory and institutional framework to remove barriers that existed in the creation of security interests against personal and commercial property.
The current mortgage registration system being used by the Office of the Registrar General was semi-automated and was therefore not capable of efficiently managing the work processes of mortgage registration mainly, system integration and data exchange between key partner institutions. These include the Land Registry (LAIS), the National ID project, financial service providers and the Institute of Statistics.
NRD has been awarded a Contract by the Government of the Republic of Rwanda represented by the Rwanda Development Board (RDB) to provide consulting services for the design and creation of a modern business/commercial registry for Rwanda in 2009.
Design, implementation, operation and monitoring of the Rwanda Commercial Registration Services including Company registration, business information, registration of non-land secured transactions and registration of intellectual property rights.
The services provided include:
- Review of the legal frameworks and recommendations for necessary regulations;
- Evaluation and design of the organizational structure and capacities;
- Feasibility study and business plan for the register operation;
- Design of a M&E system;
- Specifications, procurement and installations for HW and basic SW;
- Development and implementation of the business registration services and procedures including: “single-point-registration” services including business registration, tax registration and information sharing with other public institutions, unique ID of business;
- Digitization of existing business registration records;
- Development and implementation of a computer based system of securities registration that enables all possible moveable assets to be used as collateral;
- Development and implementation of a computer based system of intellectual property rights;
- Operation procedures and manuals, and registration forms;
- Online registration and information services;
- Design and execution of capacity building including training and organisational development;
- Design and execution of awareness and outreaching campaign.
In 2013 this project covered the development of Business registration system (including portal creation) and Secured transaction notice filing system (SecT).
In particular, the project has:
- Designed a system that facilitates electronic registration of mortgages (portal), including amendments of particulars in accordance with the Mortgage law;
- Ensured electronic management of the procedures of lease, sale or acquisition of mortgages in case of default in accordance with the mortgage law and the instructions of the Registrar General.
- Facilitated system integration and data exchange between the ORG, National Land Authority, National ID project, financial institutions and the Credit Reference Bureau.