About the Client
Government of Barbados – The Ministry of Innovation, Science & Smart Technology
As part of the Barbados Economic Recovery and Transformation Programme (BERT) and working to implement the digital transformation of the Barbados public service, the Ministry’s mandate is to lead the modernization of the public service and to create a sustainable, enabling environment for a vibrant digital economy and a digitally intelligent society.
The objective of the project was to develop an integrated e-services platform to offer e-government solutions that fast-track service delivery and increase efficiency in public institutions.
As part of the Public Sector Modernization Programme, the project aimed at providing online services and information for citizens and businesses including a Government Portal with channels for citizens, business and government, a Business Process Manager (BPM) engine, and a Government Interoperability solution.
The Government of Barbados retained the services of NRD Companies to help restore macroeconomic stability and put the economy on a sound footing for sustainable growth. A key component of the proposed measures was to reform the government towards a more modern and efficient public sector that enables growth through the utilization of Information Communication Technology (ICT) to improve productivity, enhance business facilitation and be more customer centric.
The system was built on NRD Companies’ proprietary ready-to-use product – the GxP e-service delivery platform. The platform offers an innovative, user-friendly infrastructure for designing, creating, monitoring and adjusting e-services on a national level. It is a vital asset, which reduces time and costs required for e-service delivery and radically improves the overall experience of both service beneficiaries and providers.
NRD Companies services provided
- Development of an eServices platform which focuses on providing online services and information to citizens and businesses
- Development of a Business Process Manager (BPM) engine
- Development of a Government Service BUS (Interoperability) solution
- Assessment of legal regulatory framework
- Assessment of the existing infrastructure and current state of ICT capacities
- Review of existing IT systems in use
- Identifying gaps and defining the way forward for further modernization
- Integration of the existing legacy applications
- Testing, training, support, and maintenance
The portal automated service processes to enable efficient and effective functioning of governmental agencies and the GoB itself. The portal allows citizens to get governmental services online in a one-stop-shop manner, improve customer experience, and encourage participation. The portal develops a digital-oriented workplace culture by educating, empowering and rewarding staff for using digital solutions.
The solutions implemented in Barbados are easily replicable and countries worldwide could enjoy the same benefits by retaining the services of NRD Companies. These benefits include the following elements:
- A Government Portal with channels for citizens, business and government, including a directory of government services
- Assessment of legal frameworks and procedures
- Assessment of existing ICT capabilities
- eService platform integrations with other systems
- Implementation of cyber resilience – data backup and recovery
- Data migration from legacy systems
- Training and knowledge transfer
UN SDGs addressed
By improving service delivery to individuals and businesses, improving the business ecosystem, and contributing to good governance and transparency, the project addressed four major UN Sustainable Development Goals:
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Reduce inequality within and among countries